Most homes this time of year have a fresh Christmas tree. Here are 4 dangers your tree may pose to your pets
- Tree water: Stagnant tree water breeds bacteria, which, if consumed, could make your pet sick. Tree water can also contain fertilizer or other contaminants harmful to your pet. Lastly, any additives you put in tree water can make your pet sick if consumed.
- Tree needles: Tree needles and branches can cause blockages that often need surgical intervention if consumed.
- Tree flocking: Who doesn’t love a white Christmas? Flocking is pretty, but it’s mildly toxic to pets if consumed.
- Falling trees: Cat and dog owners should anchor their real or faux tree to the ceiling to prevent their pets from knocking it over. The falling tree can hurt your pet, but spilled water and other debris can make for a tempting snack before you’re able to tidy the wreckage. Never mind that broken ornaments and accessible wiring pose their own problems.
Also remember, the sweet and the savory of the holidays are not always for pets! Cookies and candies, all things chocolate, dough, and table scraps from holiday meals many times contain artificial flavorings or sweeteners or are simply foods that can make your pet very sick. Keep your pets happy this season, feed them their regular healthy foods.